Home Forums Open Forums Improving Grading Skills: Before & After Grade Examples

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  sam4 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

sam4
    Participant

<p style=”margin: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 20px; border: 0px; font-variant-numeric: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 12px; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Arial; vertical-align: baseline; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; color: #808080; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>I posted this in another section of the Forums but HELP & HINTS seems to get more traffic so I thought that I would re-post:

I’ve always found that one of the best ways to learn grading is from comparing the before and after of a grade. You may not know how the colourist achieved it, but it often sends you down paths that you may not have even considered before.

The problem is finding examples with both Source and Final images. So, in the hopes that others will share how their own work – here are a couple that I did quickly in Mistika:

Cowboy: Before & After

Clockwork Doll: Before & After

Promo Model: Before REDLogFilm REDGamma3 & After

Maybe I’m the only one but I find exercises like this enormously useful. I almost always teach myself something new while recreating the grade. It’s just a shame that it’s so hard to find the original source media that hasn’t been clipped or changed in some way.

If you find the exercise enjoyable/useful then please do post your own examples. Or you’re welcome to email me on: <span style=”color: #666666; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal; white-space: nowrap; background-color: #ffffff;”>sam@silverscreenpictures.co.uk

</span>Challenge gratefully accepted 🙂

</p>

2 users thanked author for this post.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.