Home Forums Mistika Insight Webinars Mistika Insight Webinar 02 – The Color Grade Node

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  pakhowell 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

pakhowell
    Keymaster

Hi All,

For today’s webinar we will have a deeper look into the color grade node. We will see RGB Primaries, Printer Lights, Bands HSL mode, Bands Ranges, Fix Vectors HSL Mode, RGB Curves, HSL Curves.  We will work with all these options in parallel  but we will also see how we can organize a Vector Hierarchy where. We will do our first Key Selection defining the Key Source and we will  combine it with a shape and do different grades inside and outside the shape.

We will use the project & the material from the previous webinar. You find that and download it at:

Mistika Insight Refresh Webinar

I would suggest to conform the EDL following the steps of the first webinar and have a clean timeline. That will be our starting point. Bear in mind the media is MXF CMX 36 so we will have some artefacts, specially  when keying, I’m working on providing you with practice footage of higher quality.

I hope you enjoy the webinar,

See you layer.

Cheers,

Paco.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pakhowell
    Keymaster

Hi Everybody,

For those who couldn’t follow the webinar this afternoon, here you have the link to the recorded video.

I’m working on the logistics to provide you with the better quality practice footage. Bear with me, I might have a solution tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy the webinar,

Cheers,

Paco.

SilverLight
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a possibility of getting a dedicated post just for these traing webinar videos.

So there is no messing about looking for them.

Cheers.

pakhowell
    Keymaster

Hi Silverlight,

We are in a beta stage so all suggestions are welcomed. The reason I created separate threads was to follow the doubts or comments that emerge from a specific webinar contained in a single thread.

Would you prefer a single thread for all webinars?

We really want to develop the communication among instructor/s and users/students to make it as effective as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Paco.

SilverLight
    Participant

For me would be a great help.

Just makes it a lot easier to follow when one is under pressure time wise.

I also need to write down the funnies in Insight, a couple already.

Maybe a progressive bug this.

Cheers.

yoavraz
    Participant

Hi pakhowell
    that is grate videos thanks a lot .
    just to let you guys know that there are lots of users on the Lift Gamma Gain Forum that are interested on the Insight training
    and can’t get excess to it.
    if any of you can give instruction on how to get it. it will be grate.
    thanks Yoav

pakhowell
    Keymaster

One more thing Paco. About the second webinar. When we do a key selection, we can choose the source of the selection, but the correction itself, I assume, is always over the previous layer. Thanks a lot in advance and have a nice weekend. Adrià

Hi Adriá,

You’re correct. You can choose the source of the selection, but the correction will always be over the previous layer. However, there’s an option of recovering a specific layer in the Options Tab. This will place the picture of the recovered layer where you’ve done the key selection and then effectively perform a color correction over the recovered layer.

We will see this in detail in following webinars.

Cheers,

Paco.

stepa.kozlov
    Participant

Hi Paco

Thanks very much for the webinars, they are very informative. Two questions:

1)  Say I have logC footage on track1 in the timeline and I want to grade in log. I drop a unicolour onto the whole timeline in track3 and set that to go from logc to rec709 and then I drop colorgrade FX on all of the clips onto track2. So effectively I’m grading under a LUT (of course in this case it’s not a lut but a precise mathematical transform). The problem is that I have to view the unicolor but do changes in the colorgrade. How do I lock the viewer to always view the top FX (the unicolor in this situation) and not jump around to colorgrade once I switch to other shots? At this point I can double click the unicolor which makes the viewer show it’s output, then I can click the colorgrade and tweak it whilst still seeing the unicolor output. But once I go to another shot the viewer shifts to colorgrade and I have to double click the unicolor again.

2) What do the different modifier buttons do when combined with right or left click on a thumbnail in the storyboard? You mention that to go to a different shot you press Shift +left click and it seems when you use different combinations of modifiers and right or left clicks you get different function. Would you be able to explain what they do? And also what does the red square do? Is it a bit like the DBS in baselight?

Again thank you for your tutorials!

All the best

Stepan

Anonymous

Hi Stepan, if you start out by double clicking the Unicolour, then single clicking down to the Colour Grade then when you switch to the next shot use CTRL+Left or CTRL+Right to navigate (if you’re not using control surfaces) and your monitor should stay active on the Unicolor while your active effect should remail the Colour Grade. Just make sure that all the Unicolours are on the same layer and all the Colour Grades are on the same layer.

For this to work you’ll need to cut the Unicolour up to match the edit of the Colour Grades, this won’t work if you just have one big long Unicolour over the whole thing. If you want to go that route then you need to make the Unicolour a Display Filter. That will put it over everything so you don’t need to worry about it. Just be careful, that will put it over literally everything, including text and such.

Hope this helps,

Mark

stepa.kozlov
    Participant

Hello Mark

Great! This is just what I wanted. I’m only using insight version so my element doesn’t seem to work so ctrl+right/left it is then. These shortcuts seem to work when the mouse is on the timespace so I’m guessing it’s a bit like Nuke where the shortcuts change dependent on where the mouse is. Or maybe this is just in two monitor mode. Anyway it works so thats good.

I suppose you could just have it as display filter whilst your doing the grading and then make it as a separate FX track once your doing the finishing. Anyway thank you!

All the best

Stepan

1 user thanked author for this post.

pakhowell
    Keymaster

Hi Stepan,

I will answer under each question.

Hi Paco Thanks very much for the webinars, they are very informative. Two questions: 1) Say I have logC footage on track1 in the timeline and I want to grade in log. I drop a unicolour onto the whole timeline in track3 and set that to go from logc to rec709 and then I drop colorgrade FX on all of the clips onto track2. So effectively I’m grading under a LUT (of course in this case it’s not a lut but a precise mathematical transform). The problem is that I have to view the unicolor but do changes in the colorgrade. How do I lock the viewer to always view the top FX (the unicolor in this situation) and not jump around to colorgrade once I switch to other shots? At this point I can double click the unicolor which makes the viewer show it’s output, then I can click the colorgrade and tweak it whilst still seeing the unicolor output. But once I go to another shot the viewer shifts to colorgrade and I have to double click the unicolor again.

I guess you have something like this in the timeline:

Timeline

I have renamed the nodes of the Effect Clips to guide you in the process. When you double click on an effect clip in the timeline you load the visual editor and automatically set it as the viewing node, but once you are in the Visual Editor, if you do a single click on the Color Grade Node you set the color node as your working node.

The Evaluation Tree in the Visual Editor shows and interacts with these actions:

This is how you see the Eval Tree when you double click on the Unicolour Effect:

DoubleClickOnUnicolor

Pay attention to the Green and Blue Bands that “highlight” the UniColour effect. That means that you’re using the Unicolour Effect as a Viewing & Working Node. If you perform a Single Click over the Color Grade Node This is that you should see in the Eval Tree:

SingleClickOnColorGrade

Notice how the Green Frame follows the Single Click you’ve done and now that marks the Working Node.

So Summing this up, in the Eval Tree in the Visual Editor a Double Click will set: Viewing & Working node; a Single Click will set: Working Node.

2) What do the different modifier buttons do when combined with right or left click on a thumbnail in the storyboard? You mention that to go to a different shot you press Shift +left click and it seems when you use different combinations of modifiers and right or left clicks you get different function. Would you be able to explain what they do? And also what does the red square do? Is it a bit like the DBS in baselight? Again thank you for your tutorials! All the best Stepan

With the Right Button of the mouse, you will always move the Storyboard.

The White Frame is the Current Frame you are working one.

Single Click on a clip in the StoryBoard will place a Red Frame on that clip of the storyboard. This means that clip will become the Source of Snapshot or Grade to copy from to you current grade.

Double Click will instantly make that clip the Source Clip and Copy the Grade Attributes to the Current Clip.

Single Click + Hold, will momentarily apply the grade attributes to the current clip. If you like the result, you can quickly drag the mouse up and the grade will be applied.

Shift + Single Click will jump the Current Clip to the selected clip in the storyboard.

Ctrl + Single Click will create a Snapshot of the Selected Clip in the Timeline. You will see mistika writes: Snapshot on the selected clip to confirm this. You will have to activate the Snapshot tool to effectively see the Snapshot.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Paco.

Attachments:

pakhowell
    Keymaster

For some reason, some attachments didn’t show up. Here I post them so the post is easier to understand.

If you perform a Single Click over the Color Grade Node This is that you should see in the Eval Tree: Notice how the Green Frame follows the Single Click you’ve done and now that marks the Working Node.

SingleClickOnColorGrade

So Summing this up, in the Eval Tree in the Visual Editor a Double Click will set: Viewing & Working node; a Single Click will set: Working Node.

FullVisualEditorOneClick

Attachments:

stepa.kozlov
    Participant

Sorry for the late answer! Thank you for all of the information and for mentioning this again in the new webinar. I’ve worked it out and it all works well! I’ve got a few questions about the new webinar but i’ll post them in that thread!

All the best

Stepan

sanselme
    Participant

Hi Paco,

First, let me thank you for the great webinars, please keep them coming.

I’d like to check if I’m doing the following properly, it’s regarding ACES workflow in Mistika (I’ve attached some screen grabs).

I have an ARRI Raw clip, debayered in ACES, I then applied a Unicolor to convert from ACES to ACEScc (with Convert Gamut off),

I then insert a Grade and another Unicolor to convert from ACEScc to sRGB (with Convert Gamut on).

Am I doing it right, if no what should I change (I’m not to sure about setting Convert Gamut to on/off).

Cheers,

Schubert

Attachments:

Daniel Rudin
    Participant

I’m working on the logistics to provide you with the better quality practice footage. Bear with me, I might have a solution tomorrow.

Dear Paco

Did you succeed in sourcing better quality footage?

Thanks and best regards
    Daniel

pakhowell
    Keymaster

Hi Paco, First, let me thank you for the great webinars, please keep them coming. I’d like to check if I’m doing the following properly, it’s regarding ACES workflow in Mistika (I’ve attached some screen grabs). I have an ARRI Raw clip, debayered in ACES, I then applied a Unicolor to convert from ACES to ACEScc (with Convert Gamut off), I then insert a Grade and another Unicolor to convert from ACEScc to sRGB (with Convert Gamut on). Am I doing it right, if no what should I change (I’m not to sure about setting Convert Gamut to on/off). Cheers, Schubert

Hi Schubert,

This week’s webinar will be fully dedicated to the unicolour effect. I will be talking about all this. Thanks for posting and I hope you enjoy the webinar.

Cheers,

Paco.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.