Home Forums Mistika Insight Mistika Native Format

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Javier Moreno 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Hermes Petterson
    Participant

I know that Mistika Insight can import and work with .js format video files. Is there a way in Insight to be able to output to the .js format. I’d like to convert my files to that .js format and also be able to convert timelines I’ve created in Insight to the .js format so I can use them to feed other timelines to get realtime interactive playback. I understand Insight is limited to mp4 output but having the ability to output .js which is just a native Mistika format will lend itself to better useability, training and learning capabilities.

Thanks

Pete

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob.gordon
    Participant

I’ll second that one. It would be great to be able to render to JS so I can get realtime playback of complex stacks and keep the quality up. Maybe Insight could include the ‘cache’ option that is in Ultima? This would allow a JS working render for playback?

Javier Moreno

Hello,

Render to .js is not currently possible on Mistika Insight,  but we will pass your request to developers.  Just to say that other alternatives for realtime cache improvements are  also under study.

But regarding the purposes you mention,  there are also other workflows available with current version:

– When quality is an issue (typically for intermediate renders that are going to suffer posterior processing),  then we recommend to create a render preset with  high bitrate  (which is set in the settings wheel of the mpeg4 format).   In any case,  intermediate renders should be avoided as much as possible.

– Regarding realtime previews, mpeg4 should always work in realtime in HD formats with modern computers,  even on laptops.  (In fact the .js format  needs a much faster hard disk and it is typically slower ).

– When the problem is the slow performance of the raw format (R3D and similar) or the underlying effects that we do not plan to modify for a while,  what is recommended is the “Multilayer Groups” workflow, as follows:

* Render a realtime clip to act as a cache for it (mpeg4 high bitrate)

* Group it with the raw format or the slow stack of effects, thus creating a “multilayer ” group ( in this example the groups will have two unrelated layers,  not covered by the range of any effect)

* From this point, the group will use the upper later (the rendered clip ) by default,  thus making that segment realtime.  And when you need more quality you can switch between the two modes by using Edit->Group Layers->Use Layer 1 / Use Layer 2.  (Add  hotkeys to them for faster use)

Please note that this is not a trick for Insight but also a very common practice in Mistika Ultima.  It is in fact what most clients are doing whent they have complex rushes like 8K Hellios and similar.

Also please note that the other .js cache that you mention from Mistika Ultima, which is the  “PlaybackCache”,  is a completely different tool which is only designed to cache the SDI output directly (the top layer + display filters + video output format settings,  acting in a way  as a final render plus a rescaling to the video output format ), so  it is  not designed for using it as an intermediate render at all.   That is why he PlaybackCache is not in Mistika Insight (as the Insight does not currently have support for SDI output )

Cheers,

Javier

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.